30 Day No Dining-Out Challenge---Batch of Burritos

We're still going strong!!  After Snowpocalypse, I finally went back to work on Thursday. It was kind of nice to get back to a routine, but I sure did miss my guys. They missed an entire week of school. Don't tell anyone, but I think they might even be ready to go back to school.

We had a great service at church today. Our pastor talked about James, Jesus' little brother. The Gospels are full of references to how even Jesus' own siblings didn't believe in Him, initially. They did come to believe though, and it's such an encouragement to think of when I pray for those I love who aren't believers.

Yesterday, we ran to Aldi's to pick up the items they were out of before the snow came in. I bought seven packages of tortillas. Yes, I said seven. Don't judge. I used four of them yesterday, and I will never run out of tortillas again. (Cue the Gone With the Wind moment)


I made two batches of burritos yesterday. One batch, sad to say, will only be enjoyed by the Mister and me. Sigh. Your kids probably eat all kinds of interesting things, but my kids do not. We're working on it. The other batch will be gratefully eaten by the whole household.


Beef and Bean Burritos

1.5-2 pounds ground beef (I used 90% lean)
1 medium onion, chopped
2 tablespoons minced garlic
1/2 tablespoon chili powder
1 tablespoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon oregano
1 can black beans, rinsed
1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
18-20 burrito-size flour tortillas



1. Brown ground beef and onion until beef is cooked thoroughly.
2. Add all spices and cook until beef and onions are coated.
3. Mix in beans.
4, Mix in cheese.
5. Put approximately 1/4 cup filling into each tortilla. Fold sides in and roll.
6. Place completed burritos onto a baking sheet, seam side down, in a single layer. Place in freezer and freeze for about 2 hours, or until completely frozen.
7 Reheat in the oven or in the microwave. I cover the burrito with a paper towel and reheat for one minute. Then I continue heating in 30 second intervals until heated through.







There are about a million ways to use these burritos. My favorite is to make enchiladas with them. It's so fast when the burrito is already made. Just put in the oven in a baking dish. Once fully heated, add a can of enchilada sauce and some cheese and back until bubbly. So good.

These also make great lunches to bring to work or for a fast lunch on the weekend.



Breakfast Burritos

18 eggs (I use one carton of egg beaters and 11 eggs), beaten
1 pound breakfast sausage
1 1/2 cups cheddar cheese
20-24 tortillas

1. Brown sausage until fully cooked and drain. Set aside.
2. In the same pan, cook eggs until fully done. You're making scrambled eggs. :)
3. Mix in sausage and cheese.
4. Place about 1/3 cup of egg and sausage mixture in each tortilla. Roll, burrito-style.
5. Place completed burritos onto a baking sheet, seam side down, in a single layer. Place in freezer and freeze for about 2 hours, or until completely frozen.
7. Reheat in the microwave. I cover the burrito with a paper towel and reheat for one minute. Then I continue heating in 30 second intervals until heated through.

There really isn't anyway to take a pretty picture of scrambled eggs.



My kids love these. They will choose these over breakfast at school almost any time!


Comments

Popular Posts