30 Day No-Dining Out Challenge--Battling the Blahs

We are still persevering through our 30 day challenge. There are a lot of great things about this. For one, I've lost a little bit of weight. Nothing major, but enough that I didn't have to fight my jeans on Friday. For two, we have a lot more time at home together as a family, and I feel a lot less stressed. Another great thing is that my kids are eating some new foods, and we are rediscovering some old family favorites.

But it ain't all sunshine, people.

Do you know how many dishes you have to do when you cook all day? We don't use paper plates or or disposable bakeware, so it's a lot. Also, this takes a lot of planning. I spend about two hours a week figuring out what we are going to eat, when, and when I'm going to cook it.

Also, I keep getting the question. "Mom, when are we going to go out to eat again?"  The question is then followed by, "But why do we have to wait until the end of January?"

I'm kind of surprised that we aren't saving money. I'm still working out the best way to grocery shop. I've spent a lot more for groceries than I thought I would. But I have a very well stocked pantry now, so I expect that I'll save more money next month. Even though we are lifting the ban on dining out next month, we know that we can't go back to the craziness.


Baby steps.

Last night, we had a completely cooked that day dinner of Tequila Lime Chicken with homemade Pico de Gallo. So yummy.

Tonight, we're having pork chops, mashed potatoes, corn, and homemade dinner rolls. I'm giving this recipe a try. 

I also bought some pears to can. The kids love canned pears, but only home-canned ones.  

On the menu for the next week:

Monday:
Spaghetti and Garlic Bread (using Big Batch Spaghetti Sauce)

Tuesday:
Frozen Breaded Chicken Breast
Noodley-stuff (Knorr noodle side)
Green Beans

Wednesday:
Quesadillas (made from leftover tequila lime chicken)
Fruit

Thursday:
Burgers
Oven baked fries
Fruit

Friday:
Brunch

 Time to get cooking! Getting ready to start the rolls and start getting the pears ready to can. Oh, and kill the laundry beast. Again.

Comments

Popular Posts