Garden plans

Now that we have a home of our own, the garden game has gotten serious. Last year, we had a pretty productive garden. It got a bit out of control because I was completing my internship for my degree. We didn't manage to keep as much produce as I had hoped.

I've already started seeds for this year. I'm pretty sure that I started planning this year's garden while last year's was still growing. One thing we've learned is that I need a much bigger garden so that I can grow everything I want to grow. So we plan to add at least one-half more space to the garden this year.

Choosing what to grow is one of my favorite parts of planning the garden. I usually buy seeds from Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds (www.rareseeds.com). They have such a huge variety! I have always had great success with their seeds. They always send me some freebies too, which I appreciate.

This year, in addition to increasing the size of my vegetable garden, we are also replanting the front ornamental gardens. That's an expensive project! To save some on the costs, and because I really love starting seeds, I am growing a lot of flowers from seed as well. Baker Creek has a good variety of flower seeds that fit with my cottage style design.

Starting seeds indoors is easy as long as you have a space with lots of natural light. My family room gets a pretty good amount of light, but I need to supplement with a grow light. Once the temperature is above freezing, I'll take my greenhouse outside permanently.

Last year, we had a greenhouse catastrophe when the old greenhouse tipped over in the wind. All of my seedlings were dumped over. I had a lot that survived, but they were mystery peppers and tomatoes. While that sort of adventure is fun, it did put a damper on possibly selling some of my extra seedlings. This year, I will stake my greenhouse down. In the meantime, it lives in my family room. I take the seed trays out for some sun when it's warm enough, but everyone comes inside at night.



Currently, I have growing:
  • Tomatoes: Golden Sunray, Granny Cantrell's Pink Tomato, Amana Orange, Royal Chico, Black Vernissaige, and Chadwick Cherry 
  • Peppers: Gambo, Craig's Grande Jalapeno, Ozark Giant, Banana, Poblano
  • Flowers: Crepis, canterbury bells, Bowle's Black Violet pansies, Apple Blossom Snapdragons,
  • Herbs: Basil (Emily), and oregano




I can't wait for the weather to warm up enough to plant peas and radishes. I learned last year that I really love fresh, raw peas. There is nothing better than shelling peas while in the garden and having a quick snack.

What do you have going in your garden?

Comments

Popular Posts