Meal Plan Monday

Meal planning is an important way for my family to save money on groceries. I must confess, I've not done a good job at all with this recently. Hold me accountable, ok? I need to meal plan or else we eat frozen pizza twice a week. What kind of memories are those for my kids? And what kind of nutrition is that?

Monday:
Mega Meatball Pizza (See below)
This is the first time we're trying this recipe. I'll let you know how it turns out!

Tuesday:
Chicken Wraps with Bacon (Pre cook the chicken and bacon on Monday)
Fresh Fruit
French Fries

Wednesday:
Spaghetti
Garlic Bread
Salad
Fruit

Thursday:
Chicken Enchiladas (Burritos for kids)
Salad
Green beans

Friday:
Breakfast for dinner
eggs, bacon, toast, fruit, orange juice

Saturday:
Please let's go out and do something fun

Sunday:
Burgers on the grill
Fries or Tots
Corn
Fruit

You might notice the abundance of fruit. This is because my children will not eat vegetables other than green beans or corn. This is my life, people.

And now for the recipe:


Mega Meatball Pizza
Rachael Ray (365 No Repeats pg 6)
Instruction edited by me for brevity and clarity.


Extra virgin olive oil
1 pizza dough (storebought or from your favorite pizza shop)
a palmful of cornmeal
2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh rosemary (I will omit this as my kids don't like rosemary)
coarse salt
1 1/2 pounds ground sirloin (I will replace with 85/15 ground beef)
1 medium onion, finely chopped
4-6 garlic cloves, finely chopped
Pepper to taste
1 (3 oz) can tomato paste
1/2 cup grated Parmigiano Reggiano
a handful fresh parsley, chopped
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
3/4 lb fresh mozzarella or brick mozzarella, sliced or grated

Directions:
Preheat oven to 425 F.

Drizzle baking sheet with olive oil. Dust baking sheet with cornmeal, then spread out pizza dough. Poke holes in the dough with a fork. Drizzle the dough with olive oil and season with rosemary and a little salt.  Bake for 10 minutes.

Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add 2 tablespoons of olive oil, then add meat. Brown and crumble meat for a couple of minutes, then add onions and garlic. Season meat with salt and pepper. Then work in the tomato paste into the meat. Stir in Parmesan cheese, parsley, and oregano.

Remove pizza crust from oven and top with beef mixture. Arrange mozzarella over the top, working from center to outside edge. Bake pizza in oven for another 10 minutes or so, until the cheese is golden.


We're going to do this meal planning thing and like it, right? :)

Comments

Popular Posts