Oatmeal Apple Cookies

Hello blog friends!

Things have been so crazy at our little home. Thanksgiving was great; we got to  see BOTH my sisters and my parents. All at the same time! It was wonderful to spend some time with them.

After Thanksgiving we settled down back into our homeschool routine. We just love homeschooling. You can check out my other blog: Kind of a Hippie Homeschooler and see what we've been up to!

Last Monday, my husband was downsized. He is working hard to find a new job. We know the Lord has an amazing plan for us. We are waiting on His timing. (I find I'm not as patient as I should be.) In the meantime, we are enjoying spending lots of family time together. The hubs has even started teaching social studies in our homeschool!

I've got a great recipe for you! These are delicious, and they are even MORE delicious if you eat them the next day. These oatmeal cookies have bits of fresh apple scattered throughout, making them a semi-healthy treat. Half the kids liked them. The other half said he likes oatmeal cookies but without apples. Sigh. We skipped the raisins and walnuts. I give them an enthusiastic 5 stars on food.com.

Oatmeal Apple Cookies
submitted by

Ingredients

3/4 cup shortening
1 1/4 cups firmly packed brown sugar
1 large egg
1/4 cup milk
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
1 cup flour
1 1/4 teaspoons cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
3 cups quick oats (not instant or old fashioned)
1 cup peeled diced apple
3/4 cup raisins (optional)
3/4 cup coarsely chopped walnuts (optional)

Directions:

 Preheat oven to 375° and grease cookie sheet.
 Combine shortening, sugar, egg, milk and vanilla in large bowl.
 Beat at medium speed until well blended.
 Combine flour, cinnamon, salt, soda and nutmeg in a small bowl and mix into creamed mixture at low speed until just blended.
 Stir in oats, apples, raisins and nuts.
 Drop rounded tablespoonfuls of dough about 2-inches apart onto prepared cookie sheets.
 Bake for 13 minutes or until just set. 
Cool for a minute or 2 on cookie sheets and then remove to a wire rack to cool completely.

I'm currently reading the Left Behind series. I know, way to catch up with the rest of the world. However, I'm fascinated by them. I think it's time to make some more cookies and get back to reading!

Comments

Popular Posts