What to do with buttermilk?

I know, what a silly question. The kids and I recently made butter as part of our homeschooling. We'd been reading Little House on the Prairie and learning about the Revolutionary War. It just seemed like the right thing to do.



When you make butter, you actually do get buttermilk. So we made butter twice, and enjoyed this recipe from Food.com.

2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup unsalted butter, cold
1/2 cup buttermilk
1/4 cup milk
melted butter, to brush on top

Directions:

1 Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2 Mix together flour, sugar, salt, baking powder, and baking soda in a medium bowl.
3 Slice cold butter into cubes and use a pastry knife or potato masher to cut butter into dry mixture until no large chunks of butter remain.
4 Add buttermilk and milk and stir with a spoon until dough forms.
5 Roll out to 1/2-inch thick on a floured surface.
6 Cut biscuits with a 3-inch biscuit cutter and arrange on a lightly-greased or parchment paper-lined baking sheet.
7 Bake for 22 to 24 minutes or until tops begin to turn light brown.
8 Remove biscuits from the oven and cool for a couple of minutes, then brush each biscuit top with melted butter.

I actually used the food processor for the first time to make these biscuits, and I will never cut in butter by hand again. It's SO much easier to use the processor. 




 Are you like me at all? I ALWAYS roll the biscuits too thin. I think I have a fear that all my effort will be wasted because there won't be enough biscuits. So they get rolled too thin.



 Despite their small size, and the mutant biscuit on the left, they were delicious! I really recommend this recipe.

Comments

Popular Posts