Happy Birthday to me! Chicken Fajitas



Hey everyone,

Today was the big day. The big 3-0. After I stopped gagging, I realized that even though I'm *old* now, I can still appreciate everything I've been given. One of the best things in my life is the ability to cook for and care for my family. Normally, I go out of my way to cook things I know they like. Only half of our family likes fajitas. But if you can't spoil yourself on your birthday....

I love Mexican and TexMex food. It's my favorite thing to cook. My kids will eat modified versions of most of what I make, and as they get older, their palates become more adventurous. I love the bright colors and textures of fajitas. I don't usually order them when we go out because mine are better! Here's the recipe:

4 bell peppers, assorted colors
1 large onion
2-4 tomatoes (depending on size)
2 chicken breasts, cut into thin strips
1 tablespoon chili powder
2 tablespoons garlic powder
2 tablespoons cumin
1 tablespoon oregano
1/2 tablespoon black pepper
1/2 tablespoon salt
3-6 tablespoons oil

Slice peppers and onions thinly. Mix together evenly. Mix seasonings together.





Heat about a tablespoon of oil in a big skillet. My skillet is not huge, so I do the peppers, onions, and tomatoes in two batches.

Add half the peppers and onions to the oil. Add two tablespoons of seasoning mix to pan and combine with peppers. While the first batch cooks, chop up tomatoes into large pieces.




After the first batch of peppers and onions are lightly browned and softened, add half of the tomatoes. Smush (technical term) the tomatoes into the pan, and use the juice to deglaze the pan. Cook for about 5 more minutes.

Repeat with remaining peppers and tomatoes.




Once the veggies are done, cook the chicken in the same skillet. Put remaining spice mix on chicken. Cook until done and browned.

Combine chicken and veggie mix. Serve with tortillas and lime wedges, if desired.





Happy Birthday to me!

Comments

Popular Posts